Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Mindfulness

I've been reading a lot about Mindfulness. I am not sure what it means. It seems to means different things to different people. For some, it is a form of meditation. I've never been able to meditate - to clear my mind. First of all, I can't get into a comfortable position. Anything close to a lotus position is way beyond the limits of my flexibility. Running is the only activity that comes close to clearing my mind; lack of oxygen to the brain may get the credit.

I read an article about the use of mindfulness techniques to help athletes overcome panic at the starting line. The therapist wisely avoided using "mindfulness" in the exercises, instead using terms more aligned with an athlete's focus on physical prowess. It worked.

I am now trying to be mindful of my shoulders, which are generally in a state of raised (physical and emotional) tension. As I walk around the pond in the evening, I focus on relaxing my shoulders. It is worth a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment