Thursday, October 29, 2015

New York Diners

Your basic New York 24-hour, breakfast all day, 12-page menu, Greek diner is heading for extinction. At least, that is what my friends tell me. Is there nothing sacred left in the world!

For the 24 years I lived in New York, diners were my kitchen and pantry. I knew I would never go hungry any time of the day or night. And I didn't need to bring a friend. My New York Times was sufficient company. A woman eating by herself in a diner was not remarkable in any way.

I would stop at my favorite diner on 9th Avenue after working out at the gym. On Marathon Sunday (my favorite day in New York), I stopped at the Moon Rock Diner across from my apartment for sustenance after my 8-hour tour of duty as a Central Park Marshall, holding back the crowds as the runners completed the race. 

When I moved to Orlando, each trip back to New York was celebrated with a least one diner meal. On several occasions, I picked a date, time and diner and invited friends to join me. They were happy reunions for me and meeting opportunities for people from different parts of my life. Whatever else you want to say about them, diners are efficient - for eating and socializing. 

Save the diners!


No comments:

Post a Comment