Sunday, November 29, 2015

Showing Up

For most of 2015, I have been hiding out. I turned inward, writing poems to capture memories and feelings that I had kept to myself for so long. Even this blog about nothing is an exercise in staying in my comfort zone. With few exceptions, I write about safe topics. Now and then, I send a link for a particular post to someone. For the most part, I am the only one reading these bits and pieces of ideas.

This is about to change. This week I will be showing up at the annual WOW holiday party for the first time in years. WOW stands for Women of the World, a group of professional women in Orlando. Since landing in this strange land, I have gone to more "women only" events than in all of my previous professional life. Is it because I am in the South? Whatever the reason, this place is more gender-segregated than any place I have lived. 

On Wednesday, I am going with Betty Jo to a fundraiser for Hillary. It is not to show my support, which is quite tepid. To me, Bill and Hillary are Macbeth and Lady Macbeth. (I will not express this sentiment at the gathering.) I am going to make connections for the upcoming campaign. I need a sponsor for voter registration activities in early 2016. 

Next week, I am going to the holiday party of the Orange County Democratic Executive Committee. I was a member from Spring 2010 until after the 2014 General Election. I ran out of patience with the dysfunction and bickering of the monthly meetings. According to Robert, the situation has deteriorated under new leadership. I had been thinking about rejoining, but that is now off the table. Again, I will be looking to reconnect with people for the coming campaigns. 

Also, there are some people I do like who may be at the party. It is the holidays. I will be a little social. 


No comments:

Post a Comment