Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Pumping Iron

It all started with Arnold Schwarzenegger, according to Jack, my brother and personal trainer. Before Arnold, gyms and weights were for sweaty Neanderthal types. Arnold added sex, and sex sells.


I started lifting weights about 25 years ago, soon after I started running. Jack said I had to strengthen my upper body to balance the effects of running. While running clears my mind and calms me down, pumping iron increases my concentration. I stay focused to prevent injury.



It has another benefit. When a chivalrous man offers to lift my take-on bag into the overhead rack, I graciously decline the gesture. Drawing on all those sets and reps, I hoist the bag overhead and take my seat. "This is just part of my weight-training routine, I say with a smile." 




No comments:

Post a Comment