Here are the five secrets of my success:
- Showing Up. Following the teachings of that great American philosopher Woody Allen, I believe that at least 80 percent of success in life is showing up.
- Low Expectations. "The world is what it is; men who are nothing, who allow themselves to become nothing, have no place in it." V. S. Naipaul. I try to begin with a realistic view of the present situation - not what I want it to be but what it is.
- High Threshold of Pain. I can take a lot of punishment.
- Resilience and Resourcefulness. Flanking maneuvers are my specialty. If a direct assault is not working, I look for a way around the obstacle. "The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result." Albert Einstein.
- Treating Everyone the Same. With respect. This is not only the right thing to do from a moral perspective, but also the best way to build allies and loyal teams needed to get the job done.